Monday 1 August 2016

WELCOME TO NEW YORK : New York City- Day One



I love reading about other people’s trips and so I thought I would tell you, in depth, about a recent one I took to New York City (honestly one of the best trips I have ever been on). One tip I would give, if you are thinking of going, is booking everything well in advance, including any trips to the Statue of Liberty or Broadway etc because tickets sell out fast (I will talk about the CityPASS option which we used in tomorrow’s blogpost which worked out well).

Flying

We flew with Thomas Cook Airlines and honestly, it was really pleasant. On the flight outbound, there was lots of legroom and staff were really helpful. On both flights, I took two carry-on bags (one was my handbag and the other was a larger cabin bag) which I know sounds slightly excessive but I had everything I needed to make the trip comfy.

In my handbag I just had things such as my phone charger (a must for long haul flights as most have USB charging ports and you can be asked to turn your devices on when you land) and my passport etc, basically everything I needed to keep close. I also had my IPad but I found that I didn’t even use it as the inflight entertainment was more than enough.

The cabin bag, on the other hand, had a pair of shorts I changed into on the flight and things like clean underwear and a spare pair of clothes in case my luggage got lost. I also took sun cream and makeup (I know makeup isn’t for everyone but it killed an hour or so and make me feel slightly more human once I had it on) so that I could get off the flight not looking like I had just spent 8 hours in a plane.

Airport to Hotel
To get from the airport to our hotel, we used a service called GoAirlink, a service I probably wouldn’t recommend. After waiting nearly an hour and a half in JFK, we had a highly rude driver whose bus actually broke down after 20 minutes of driving. Though the second driver was much more pleasant (he put the radio on loud so we could party on the bus), we would have saved a lot more time and money had we just hopped in a yellow cab.

Hotel: Novotel Times Square
The hotel was honestly amazing. Located a stone’s throw away from Times Square, this hotel boasted large rooms with amazing views and staff who were always smiling and happy to help. Given the location and the fact it was a 4* hotel, it was also not extortionate and meant we were literally across the road from the Jersey Boys theatre (the show we had decided to see on Broadway).

Grand Central Station
After walking through Times Square and seeing the Ghostbusters cast get out of the car from the film (!!!!!), we walked to Grand Central Station. I feel like whenever people think of Grand Central, everyone links it to different things, movies they’ve seen on the TV; for Lauren and Lucy (the girls I went with) for example, all they could think of was Gossip Girl. Me, however, I could not erase the scene from my head from Madagascar where Melman (the giraffe) gets his head stuck in one of the clocks in the terminal. It still confuses my why that is the thing that came to my mind.

Dinner: Naples 45
Say hello to the largest pizza I have ever seen!! It was huge!
For dinner, we ate at Naples 45, just round the corner from Grand Central and boy was it amazing. If you ever find yourself near grand central around dinner time, seriously pop here and you won’t regret it. It’s full of yummy Italian food and I think I can speak for all of us when I say we all went home happy.


We also saw the end of Manhattanhenge! I had no idea this is what it was or that it was happening until the day after but I got a few pictures.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my first day in NYC! I will be posting each day we went there daily for the next few days so look out!

No comments:

Post a Comment