Tuesday 2 August 2016

MANHATTAN HEIGHTS: New York City - Day Two



If you haven't read up on day 1, be sure to check it out here. Day two was by far our busiest day in New York City and I think it was the day that we realised that we vastly underestimated the size of this city.
Andrew’s Coffee Shop
We began the day on empty stomachs, deciding to walk to the Empire State Building first and just get breakfast around there. Now remember around 10 seconds ago when I said that we didn’t realise how big Manhattan was, turns out 20 blocks is slightly more than a quick walk.
Despite this, this place was amazing! I had banana pancakes and fresh orange juice and for somewhere so close to the Empire State Building, this place was way less expensive than it could of (and in my opinion, should of) been. We had to wait only a few minutes before getting a table and our food came as quickly as it disappeared from our plates. Honestly, if you’re anywhere near 34th Street and 7th Avenue, pop into here and you won’t regret it!
Empire State Building
We went to the Empire State Building twice on our second day in New York, once mid-morning and once at night. We were able to do this as prior to our trip, we bought the CityPASS which honestly is a life saver. This pass not only saves you money but it makes your trips into different attractions so much quicker and stress free. If you know that you want to go to all the main tourist-y spots, I would definitely recommend you do this as you still have a lot of flexibility of when you visit each of the attractions so I can see it working for almost everyone.
I feel like my first reaction to it was that it was so much smaller than I had expected it to be. Whilst inside, I loved the art deco feel. Despite this being one of New York’s most famed landmarks, I would definitely say not to go if you had children with you as there was long queues and whilst on the observation deck, there is a sort of ‘push your way to the very front without acknowledging anyone else’ attitude. However, the views from here were incredible. It made me feel like I was a giant as everything looked so tiny from so high up; so worth the visit. If I could chose a time to go, I would chose the night as I think it was so pretty seeing all the buildings lit up. It gives you such a different perspective of the city as a whole compared to what you see on the ground and honestly is phenomenal.
Rockefeller Centre and Top of the Rock
When it’s the middle of summer, New York is experiencing a heatwave, and you’ve just walked 15 blocks at 12.00, the Rockefeller Centre is what I imagine as heaven on earth. If you’re on Fifth Avenue and need a place to stop for lunch or a quick break, take a stop in here and you’ll be dandy. The Rockefeller Centre is full of lots of little cafés and restaurants as well as some shops you can peruse upstairs so it’s great for a little stop midday.
At the top of the Rockefeller Centre is the Top of the Rock observation centre which I think, dare I say it, I preferred to the Empire State Building. This is because they give out timed tickets so you aren’t waiting in queues and the deck itself is so much bigger which prevents crowding and means for a much more pleasant experience. You also get amazing views of central park and the Empire State Building so this would for sure be up there if I created a list of places you needed to visit in NYC.
Tiffany’s 5th Avenue
Oh don't mind me just pretending to be Audrey Hepburn whilst welling up in the middle of Manhattan
When we decided to go to New York, this was somewhere I knew I absolutely had to go. As someone who has been pretty much obsessed with the film ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ and Audrey Hepburn for most of her life, even seeing the store made me well up. As much as I would have loved to grab a croissant and a tea (something which is seemingly hard to come by in New York) and channel my inner Holly Golightly, just walking in the store felt magical. The staff here were lovely and always willing to help (both times we went) and basically everything in this shop is beautiful. I don’t think this is one of the places you have to visit, unless you’re as obsessed with that film/novella as I am, as unless you wanted to buy something, I can see many people using that time on another tourist attraction and it being a better use of their time. But if you’re in the area and fancy a wander in, go for it, but also prepare for your bank account to feel some pain.

Stay tuned for day three tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment